Monday 19 April 2021

Brettenham Walks

It was a lovely day today so I thought I'd go and do a couple of the walks from the Brettenham Walks leaflet I had picked up on our Thorpe Morieux walk last week.  It was warm enough that I was able to walk without a coat or even a jumper.


I parked at the village hall where we had our lunch stop last week and started the green walk from there then picked up the red walk at the church, up until point 6, when I rejoined the green walk for the rest of the way. It was just over 6 miles in total. This was my route.

Here are a few photos.

The path started just past the Old Chapel.

I liked these teasels.

St Mary's Church has a 14th century octagonal font, but I couldn't go in and see it as the church was closed today.

The tulips are in full bloom.

Across the fields now. The route was well way-marked and the paths across fields quite distinct.

This grassy path between two hedges...

...both oxlips..

...and cowslips. Can you see the difference?  The oxlip flowers are much bigger and paler. (See also my photos from Bradfield Woods).

At the north end of the walk I climbed the stone at the edge of the entrance to get a view of Rattlesden Airfield, home of F-17 Flying Fortresses in the World War II. It is now used by Rattlesden Gliding Club, whihc is wher the gliders we saw last week must have come from.

The Grade II listed Ryece Hall on Dux Street is very impressive. It probably dates from the 15th century.

After turning right at point 4 on the green route I was on paths we walked last week. Is this where we saw some hares? I saw some today.

The River Brett.

After climbing up from the river and going round the edge of Great Hastings wood, it was back down again along this path.

In the far corner of the field I spotted 4 deer? Is that enough to be called a herd, I wondered? At about 250m away it was at the limit of my camera's range and a little heat haze adds some blur to the image.

The small village green at Mill Corner.

Then it was back up to Dux Street and a right turn on the path back to the village. Here I found some eggs for sale and, as I had to carry them only about 200m to the car, I got some.

I was soon back at the village hall.

Well that was a very pleasant and peaceful afternoon and I was home just before Dawn came home from school.

You can see more of my photos here on Flickr and more details of my route here on MapMyWalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment