Saturday 24 September 2022

Freezer Pickle with Carrots


Yesterday I did some more pickling. This time a "freezer pickle" from my favourite pickling book, Linda Ziedrich's "Joy of Pickling" - Freezer Pickle with Carrots. We had one more courgette that had grown enormous (i.e. become a marrow) and, after cooking a yummy Hairy Bikers' recipe Sausage Chicken and Squash tray bake (but without the chicken as I didn't have any) with some of the giant corugette instead of squash, I thought I'd try using some of what's left in the recipe that said "Got a glut of zucchinis?" suggesting using them instead of pickling cucumbers. So I gave it a try, but only did half quantities - i.e 1 1/4lb courgette and 1 big carrot (etc.)

The slices of courgette were left in salt for about 3 hours...


...before being drained making the pickle with grated carrot, sugar, vinegar and dill. This was the result.


Very tasty! Into the freezer it goes for now, bit it will come out again next week for lunches.

Meanwhile, I've still got this left...


I think I might do the sausage casserole again and add chicken this time for dinner next Sunday, leaving some for Dawn while I'm away in Marbella (of which more anon).

No comments:

Post a Comment