Thursday 15 September 2022

U3A Day Trip to Wisbech and Peterborough

Today I was on a coach trip organised by the Bury St Edmunds U3A. It was a two-centre trip visiting Peckover House in Wisbech and Peterborough Cathedral.

There was room for just 30 of us on the trip so I got my request in quickly and was one of the fortunate few to go on it. Here are a few of my photos.

The front of Peckover House.


The River Nene runs through Wisbech "The Capital of the Fens".


The old Marketplace, where I had my coffee.


With time to spare before the visit to the House and Gardens, I headed a little further along the river to see Elgood's Brewery. I bought a bottle of their famous Black Dog Mild and a bottle of their Plum Porter from the shop... and than had to carry them in my backpack for the rest of the day.


The gardens were open to visit before we had our run of the house at 12pm.



They had a sign saying "Help yourself to apples and pears"... so several of us did.

Before entering the house we were given an introduction to the history of the house and the Peckover family.



We all admired the model house upstairs.


The piano in the library.


An interesting range in the kitchen.


The table in the servants' room had a paper from VE-Daya.


Several members of the family were talented artists.


We left Wisbech at the end of our tour and headed across the fens to Peterborough.


We were given an hour's guided tour of the cathedral.



This was our guide.


The chapel of St. Oswald, where pilgrims would come to see his arm.


Another highlight is the tomb of Katherine of Aragon.


All too soon, our hour was up. Then it was back on the coach for the trip home. Thanks Pat for organising a super day out!

You can see more of my photos of Wisbech and Peckover house here and Peterborough here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment