Sunday 11 September 2022

Pickling Time


Last year I made some pickled onions that Dawn said were the best ever (see here). Last week, seeing some at the market for the first time this autumn,  I bought 3lb of pickling onions for £2 so I could make some more.Using the same recipe as before. I set them brining for 24 hours on Wednesday night and then spent some time on Thursday night peeling them and setting them brining again for another 2 days.

So today it was time for the pickling, and the photograph shows the result. They will get labelled tomorrow.

Meanwhile I found I had some sweetened vinegar left so I thought I'd try out another of the recipes from Linda Ziedrich's "Joy of Pickling" - Vietnamese Pickle Carrot and Radish. Except I used radishes rather than daikon and my malt vinegar pickling liquid rather than one made with rice vinegar.

Here it is...


Crunchy, sweet and sour, and with a bit of heat from the chilli. Delicious! I'll certainly make that again..


No comments:

Post a Comment