Thursday 1 October 2020

Pickled Onions

This week's pickling has been... pickled onions! After my mixed pickles a couple of weeks ago (and more last weekend) I still had plenty of my bargain pickling onions left over.

My favourite pickling book, Linda Ziedrich's "Joy of Pickling", has a recipe for "British Pub Pickled Onions". I thought I'd give it a go.

I soaked 1 1/2lbs of onions in a quart of brine overnight on Monday, and then peeled them and put them in another quart of brine on Tuesday. Today I drained them and added them to this jar with some spices (allspice, black pepper, bay and chilli flakes) some hot sweetened malt vinegar. This is the result...

But the recipe says I have to wait 4 weeks before they will be ready! Ploughman's lunch on the menu for 29th October, then.


No comments:

Post a Comment