Monday 19 October 2020

Tassel Gin #6

I need some more gin for Christmas presents. The last one was pretty good, but I thought I had lost a little of the floral character in previous recipes. I thought I'd also reintroduce use of the column in the set-up to see what difference that would make.

This was my recipe...

Botanical Last Time This Time
Juniper 30g 30g
Coriander 12g 12g
Angelica 3g 3g
Cardamom 2g 2g
Lemon Peel 6g 6g
Orange Peel 4g 6g
Fennel 3.5g 4g
Peppercorns 2g 2g
Liquorice -
-
Cassia 1.5g
1g
Rose - 1.5g
Ginger - 1g
Grains of Paradise 2g 2g
Elderflower 1g 1g

I weighed out my botanicals yesterday and steeped them in a jar of vodka overnight.

This was the jar before shaking.

 
 
All ready to go. I used the contents of the jar and filled the pot up to its 1.7l capacity with more vodka.

After discarding the tails and blending the rest of my distillation fractions, I was left with 815ml @ 72%ABV. I added a further 580ml filtered water to bring the final strength to 43% ABV. Here are the resulting 5 full 250ml bottles (there was also some left for us to taste).

Success! A definitely more floral taste, but still a bit of spice to it with cardamom, fennel, ginger and cassia notes. It's nicer than the one I used to make the Sloe Gin (now put away in the garage until Christmas). I'm giving this one 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment