Wednesday 7 October 2020

Honington and Fakenham Magna Walk

Today I did another of my own exploratory walks. This time it was a circular walk from Honington via Sapiston and Fakenham Magna, with a diversion to Sapiston Church and a visit to the earthwork remains of Burnt Hall.

This was my route.

Here are a few of my photos.

I parked opposite All Saints Church, Honington in bright sunshine.

I followed the path to Sapiston Mill. There is a lovely stand of silver birch trees...

...just before the bridge and footbridge over the Black Bourne, although the map still shows there's a ford.

The path goes round the outside of the grounds of old mill, now a grand dwelling.

By the old rectory I turned south to visit St. Andrew, Sapiston church. Here is a view of The Rectory.

Also along here is The Grange house. It has a ha-ha.

The church...

...was open, so I went inside. Quite small and uncluttered.

I liked the map of the Euston Estate on the wall.

Turning back and passing The Rectory, I took Clay Lane track towards Sapiston. The ancient sunken path is to the right of the modern footpath, which stays on its edge.

I passed Sapiston village sign and turned right along the road to Coney Weston.

After a short stretch along the road I turned left onto a broad grassy path

I was intrigued by the earthwork and plantation shown on the map. It is the remains of Burnt Hall.

On top of the bank inside the ditch are a row of trees.

I carried on towards Fakenham Magna where I recrossed the Black Bourne.

The path to the church is separated from the road by a hedge.

My third church of the day, St. Peter, Fakenham Magna.

It was locked so I couldn't go in. Next door, according to the map is Fakenham Hall.

There are a number of other fine houses in the tiny village.

I found the village sign.

Now for the loop back. There has been a lot of rain recently so I shouldn't have been surprised at the puddles. I was able to walk around them, though.

I turned left from the track for a path by this field. You can see where water has been flowing off it.

The path was actually on the other side of the hedge, not the potato field.

...although it didn't seem very well trod.

Crossing the main road just opposite the bottom of Broom Hill Lane, I tried to follow the path on the map. It was pretty invisible but I did find the footbridge over the wet bit.

If you look at the aerial map at the start of the post you will see there is actually a track round the edge of the field, which I think people have been using instead.

The bridge here over the Black Bourne leads to Burnt Hall, but I stayed on the path on this side back to Honington.

I found some sloes, so stopped for 10 minutes to pick some.

I had no idea how much I would need to make some sloe gin. Would this be enough? I looked up a recipe when I got home. I had about 200g, which should be enough for a half-bottle.

Back at Honington I collected my third village sign of the day...

...and went through the churchyard back to my car.


Apart from the bit at the start of the way back, it was a lovely walk. I think if I did it again I would continue further on the Butt Lane track SW from Fakenham Magna, past Broom Hill, and cross via another track to come back down Broom Hill Lane and then go round the outside of the field.

You can see more details of my route here on MapMyWalk and more of my photos here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment