Thursday 15 October 2020

Memory....

A couple of nights ago I awoke in the middle of the night with the tail end of a dream saying "The answer's Mnemosyne" and I was arguing with myself whether it was spelt with a "y" or an "i" and in the end decided on "y". Unlike most dreams, somehow that stuck in my memory. I couldn't work it out. Was it even a word? I finally got round to looking it up today... Mnemosyne....

 

...is the goddess of memory in Greek mythology. "Mnemosyne" is derived from the same source as the word mnemonic, that being the Greek word mnēmē, which means "remembrance, memory". Mnemosyne is the mother of the nine Muses.

I'm now a bit spooked. I even looked up my answers to the latest Mephisto and Monthly Club Special crosswords, which generally have plenty of obscure words. Maybe I'd seen it on one of them? But no match. Where had that come from? I can't even remember seeing the word before. Weird!

No comments:

Post a Comment