Friday 9 October 2020

More Tassel Gin

It was a while since I'd last made a batch of gin. Stocks of my July version are running low and I need to start making some for Christmas presents. I decided to tweak my recipe to make it a little less spicy by omitting the liquorice, cassia bark, rose and ginger and toning down the citrus. This was my recipe this time:

Botanical Last Time      
This Time
Juniper 30g 30g
Coriander 12g 12g
Angelica 3g 3g
Cardamom 2g 2g
Lemon Peel 8g 6g
Orange Peel 8g 4g
Fennel 3g 3.5g
Peppercorns 3g 2g
Liquorice 1g -
Cassia 1.5g -
Rose 2g -
Ginger 1g -
Grains of Paradise      
2g 2g
Elderflower 1g 1g

I weighed them out and infused in 1 litre of vodka overnight.

For my distillation run I made up the contents of the jar in my still pot to 1.6 litres and distilled in alembic configuration.

I kept the heat on low so I was just getting a steady drip of distillate and I ended up some 3 1/2 hours later, after discarding the tails, with 800ml at 68% ABV. I diluted this with filtered water down to a strength of 42% ABV leaving me with this...


It tastes pretty good and not as spicy as the previous batch. I think we'll try a taste off before dinner on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment