Thursday 6 October 2022

Marbella 4 Day Walking Day 1 - The Playa Route

Today was the first day of this year's Marbella 4 Day Walking. I am doing the 20km routes, along with my walking friend Jane...

...and  probably over 1000 others. This was the description:

"On the first day, you will get a taste of what walking in Marbella is. There are ever-changing surroundings, stunning views, and you will see a part of the Marbella famous beaches. From the Plaza del Mar, you walk through the north-western part of the city and return on the Paseo Maritimo from Puerto BanĂºs."

This was my route... slightly different from the official route as I went wrong at one point, missing a direction to turn.


These are the overall stats:


And this the elevation profile...

Here are a few photos...

The sun wasn't up as I reached the sea front on my way to the start.


I was rather erly and they were still setting up.


Some groups of walkers have coordinated costumes like these ladies.


I was there early for my 20km walk to see Jyce off at the start of the 30km walk.


A chap carrying flags was behind me in the queue at the start and was interviewed for, I presume, local television.


Off we go.


Witing for some lights to change to cross the main road through the town, these ladies invited me to take their photograph.


The man with the flags was striding out in front with only a handful of people in front of him and I tried to keep him in sight.


After we went under the motorway, we got a great view.


I wondered how many would bes stopping here for breakfast later as I walked on by.


We were quite spread out and I'd lost sight of the man with the flags. This is, I think, where I missed a sign saying to turn left.


Instead I went straight on and was rewarded with some great views.


But when I got to this fork in the paths there was no sign which to take.... and nobody in front or behind me, so I knew I'd gone off track.


But with the help of google maps I found my way back to the route. Thinking I'd missed a checkpoint, I turned back uphill, but I soon bumped into Jane who told me I hadn't.

This was the first checkpoint and a welcome fresh bottle of water.


We had a small group in front of us to follow, but they went wrong in Puerto Banus. But this time it was just the wrong 2 sides of  rectangle so were soon back on track.


Now we were on the sea front for the rest of the way to the finish.


Some we along we came to our second and last checkpoint.


We wondered if Joyce would notice this.


At the finish we found the Dixieland Band providing the entertainment.


Joyce finished about 40 minutes behind us. Time for another beer, I think.


The band played on as the plaza slowly filled with returning walkers.


Later I went for a little walk before going to meet up with the others for a meal again.


On my way, I found the Dixieland Band touring the sea front and side streets. Here they were playing Happy Birthday to someone.


Here we are at Da Fabio's restaurant. The food and company were good.


We all went for a little stroll afterwards. Here are Joyce and Nick and Pru and Tim posing for the family album at the fountain in Parque de la Alameda.


The old town is pretty at night too.


The locals were only beginning to come out for the evening...


...as I headed back to my hotel. So far so good - me legs and feet feel OK, but it's another early start tomorrow and a tougher route.

You can see more details of my route here on MapMyWalk and more of my photos here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment