Saturday 22 October 2022

Green Cherry Tomato Chutney

I mentioned last week that Dawn had harvested the last of our cherry tomatoes, which have been cropping prodigiously for the last few months. I decided I'd make some Green Tomato Chutney with the green ones as I did last year (see here). I started it yesterday and finished today. I used this recipe from BBC Good Food again and again substituted the sultanas by mixed fruit.


Here are a few photos showing how it went.

I first had to half over 500 cherry tomatoes.

 

I also chopped some white onion.

 The were added in layers with each layer sprinkled in salt and left covered overnight.


Here they are drained this morning


My diced cooking apples cooking in the spiced vinegar and sugar solution.

Then the tomatoes and onion were added and the mixture simmered until pulpy.

It took rather longer than the hour the recipe suggested, but I had cooked the mixture covered for a while.

And this is the result. A total of 9 jars this year. And just as tasty.

You may spot the remaining red tomatoes on the right of the photo. Some of those will go in a meal when my sisters and brother-in-law are here next week. Watch out for more about that here!

No comments:

Post a Comment