Tuesday 19 December 2023

U3A Bury St Edmunds Monthly Lecture Dec 2023

Today we went to the Apex for the local U3A Monthly Lecture. This month it was Charlie Haylock giving a talk "An Eccentric Look at Suffolk".

I had attended his last talk to the group about "The Dig" in Jan 2022 (see here) which I appreciated immensely, so I thought Dawn would enjoy coming along to this now she is a U3A member.... And indeed she did. In fact she laughed so much that at one point Charlie stopped, looked at her, and said "I'll wait until you finish".

Here he is in action with his obligatory cloth cap..

We were treated to a range of anecdotes and monologues, the pick of which, to me, were the Suffolk Prayer - a version of The Lord's Prayer containing countless Suffolk village and town names, and the Shipping Forecast.

Thank-you Charlie.

You can find some interviews with him on Suffen about Suffolk podcast on Youtube and visit his own site here.

No comments:

Post a Comment