Tuesday 3 August 2021

The Music of Eric Thiman

My recent participation in the trienniel (now to be bienniel) reunion of the St. Michael's Singers reminded me of the CD we contributed to in our alter ego of the Tudor Singers in 2016, The Music of Eric Thimon.Our conductor, Guy Turner, is the archivist of the Eric Thiman collection at Southwell Minster, where we were singing a few weeks ago. 

So I dug out my CD and listened to it again. I remember the recording session being a jolly occasion and marvelling at the sound. Every time Guy gave us any musical direction we embraced it whole-heartedly. The crescendos were like putting your foot down in a performance sportscar and hearing the engine roar.

Here is a sample track, the Te Deum in D flat...

..which has a very unusual ending for a Te Deum of a diminuendo. Glorius singing!

No comments:

Post a Comment