Sunday 8 March 2020

Art Themen at the Hunter Club

Time for some Jazz. Last night I went to this...

Great sax playing and the backing trio were on top form too. It was hard to believe Art is 80! I hope I have that much puff and stamina when I'm his age. Some great duetting with each of the trio members and some lovely soft passages.

Here is my view from the middle of the audience.


No pillars in my way this time.

I was impressed enough to buy the CD on offer for £10, featuring Art, George and an organist Pete Whittaker.



As you can see, Art and George signed it for me.

There's an interesting story behind the "mediaeval nonsense" that led to the title. When Art played with George in his home town, as he says on the sleeve notes, "It was apparent to me that he was a man of some note in the area and Pete Whittaker and I, having been brought up in the suburbs of Wolverhampton and the satanic mills of Manchester respectively, elected him in our imaginations as the Thane of East Anglia and had him strutting imperiously about his moated castle dressed in a tabard together with sash and ceremonial sword. George embraced this concept wholeheartedly and there soon followed a string of silly emails and texts"... written in cod 14th-century English. I'll let you buy the CD yourself to read more!

By the way, their concert at Hadleigh Jazz last month got this rather nice review in the Guardian, which also has a clip previewing the CD.

A great night out and the CD is a great souvenir. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment