Thursday 26 March 2020

Great Barton Church and Thurston Walk

Son now we are restricted to walking from home. Not to worry. There are lots of nice walks around here. Today I chose to go across the Cattishall railway crossing and up to Great Barton Church then along to Thurston via Green Lane, around the edge of the village and back via the monstrous footbridge over the railway.

This was my route.


My tracker misbehaved slightly in the last mile or so, but the route is obvious enough.

It was another sunny day and there were lots of people out walking, cycling and running. Here are a few of my photos.

After I crossed the railway, I was surprised by the number of people on the path walking and cycling.


But I'd left them all behind by the time I got to Great Barton Church.


As you can see, it was walking in the late afternoon again, but I had had to clean the house first while Dawn had her rota day at school supervising the 6 children who were in.... not many. [The last Ofsted report in 2018 said there were 1737 pupils on the school roll.]


As I continued along the green lane, I passed the mysterious footpath sign that points at a hedge that we had noticed last February (see here).


I had a look the other side of the hedge. Not much sign of a footpath here!


I found some cowslips fully open. Very pretty.


By Shinham Bridge cottages..


...the aubretia is cascading along the verge.


I didn't actually go into Thurston, but skirted the edge.


Then it was back home via the railway footbridge and cycle path. So many runners and bike riders! I kept my distance feeling nervous about the runners panting as they passed. I'm going to have to find quieter paths if I'm going to avoid everyone completely.
 
You can see more of my photos here on Flickr and more details of my route here on MapMyWalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment