Sunday 1 March 2020

Sunday Saunter

It was a bright first day of spring day. "Would you like to go for a walk this morning?", asked Dawn. I proposed a walk to Nowton Park to see the early daffodils, it being St. Davids Day. And she was born in Cardiff. But no. "I would like to go over the railway bridge", she said. The footbridge between here and Thurston. She had never been over it, even though she works in Thurston. And William wanted to come too. "Oh, but the road there has lots of puddles and we might get splashed". Hmm. The path is, for all but about 100m, away from the road. "How about Felixstowe?", she asked. "But I don't want to go anywhere in the car", said William. So Thurston it was.

This was our route, although my tracker sulked when I used my phone camera so the track is a little approximate, leaping from point to point in places and cutting a few corners in the process.


Here are a few photos from along the way.

The walk was mostly on tarmac paths and roads, so I thought I'd break in my new Pavers walking shoes bought on our trip to Melrose.


We passed the Flight of Peace Sculpture.


 This hedge was full of blossom.


William couldn't find his woolly hat so had to borrow one of Dawn's


This is the bridge we had come to cross.


Some say it's a bit of a monstrosity. Personally, I preferred the old crossing. There are steps for dismounting your horse to cross.


I hadn't seen any, but there was evidence.


It was a bit windy on top, but there were nice views.


We skirted around Thurston parallel to this imposing row of trees.


We also passed some Muscari. The first I'd seen this year.


The trees are starting to produce their leaves.


And, well it is St. David's Day, so I had to include some daffodils.


On our way back we saw a pair of buzzards. Can you see this one?


Well that was a nice fresh walk. And it built up an appetite for our Mushroom Burger lunch. And a thirst... as you will see.

You can see more of my photos here on Flickr and  more details of our route here on MapMyWalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment