Saturday 28 March 2020

Oatmeal Stout Brewing

Don't know when we'll be able to go the pub again. So time to make some more beer. I got given a Beautiful Brews kit for Oatmeal Stout for Christmas. This is what it should turn out like...

"This is a smooth, rich, creamy Oatmeal Stout with a dark, complex character but a very smooth and slightly dry roast coffee flavour finish. Strength is around 6% abv. Makes 1 Gallon (4.5 Liter)."

I will, of course, need to empty a few bottles before this needs bottling, but that shouldn't be a problem. Here is my penultimate bottle of my Diablo beer from last May opened for lunch today. Everyone else wanted some too!



I wish I had more than just one bottle left - it was very tasty.

So here is the brewing process in action...

The box...


...contained a package of the grains, hops, sanitiser and brewing yeast.


You can see the mix of barley malts and oats in the pack.


Here is my mash.


It was kept warm with a towel for an hour...


...before "Mashing out".


The mash is sieved to create the wort, which is then passed through the grain a couple of times before washing through with the sparging water.


My wort was impressively dark.


The grain after sparging.


My wort is now ready for the boil after the addition of the hops.



And here it is the fermenter, where it will stay to ferment for the next 2 weeks.


So far so good! And the kitchen smells like a brewery.

No comments:

Post a Comment