Tuesday 25 August 2020

Apple Brandy

My initial attempt at this, after aging on toasted french oak chips, turned out rather nice, but there wasn't much of it. So I thought I'd make some more.

This time, instead of the cheapest cider, I thought I'd start with a better one with a higher alcohol content so as I could end up with a bit more volume. I filled my still pot with nearly 3 1/2 bottles of Weston's 2019 Vintage Cider.... not once, but twice. (I bought 2 packs of 4 x 500ml bottles). And what happened to the other bottle? No prizes for guessing! So Yesterday I did 2 "stripping" runs distilling the cider to create a distillate of appox. 800ml at 32% ABV.


Ready to go...


Then today I did the "spirit" run, a second distillation, adding a little vodka to up the alcohol content so I could end up with more than enough brandy for 2 x 250ml bottles.


This left me, once I'd discarded the heads and the tails, with 440ml at 62% ABV spirit, redolent of apples and even a bit of oak - the cider had been matured in oak. I blended jars 2-7 of my 8 jars of distillate and put it in an old Sipsmith gin bottle. Then I added some medium toast french oak chips....


...and gave it a bit of shake...


...and labelled the bottle.


I'll keep monitoring it, but the plan is to keep it on oak for about 2 months before decanting, diluting to 40% ABV and a final bottling. Enough for a couple of 250ml bottle Christmas presents... and a bit more for me. That's post-prandial drinks for Christmas Day sorted!


No comments:

Post a Comment