Wednesday 12 August 2020

Fen Ditton Clayhithe Horningsea and River Cam walk


This was the invite from Joyce...

"I've been checking the 'heather' at Cavenham Heath, Knettishall and Sutton Heath and I think it needs another week at least before it will look its best. Therefore next Wednesday I'm heading into Cambridgeshire for a 10 mile circular walk along the River Cam using the Harcamlow Way and the Fen Rivers Way. Pls park in the village of Fen Ditton and meet at Fen Ditton Church. The nearest postcode is for the local pub CB5 8ST. I'll be there at 10.30am if you'd like to join me. We can have a stop at The Bridge, Clay Hithe if people would like that but pls bring lunch with you."

That sounded good, so I said yes please. We had the full complement of 6 and met at Fen Ditton Church as planned. It was already 29 degrees, so we knew we were in for a hot one. I came prepared with a bottle of made up raspberry and goji berry squash that I had frozen in the freezer overnight as well a couple of other bottles.

This was our route. We  walked down the east side of the river to start and crossed at Baits Bite lock, crossing back over at Clay Hithe and back via Horningsea, across the river at the lock again and then uptream towards Cambridge before crossing the river a final time at the Green Dragon bridge to return via Stourbridge Common.


Here are some of my photos.

I had a quick peek into the churchyard of St. Mary's Fen Ditton Church while we assembled.


Even Anna was in shorts today.


We were soon on the Fen Rivers Way and Harcamlow Way.


At Baits Bite lock there was a barge manoeuvring to  get into the lock. It overtook us later.


We saw a couple of herons along the river. This is one of them.


The river was very peaceful. Along the edge were some spikes of purple flowers. What were they? Joyce suggested Veronica, but I think I was right when the name popped into my head - I must have looked them up before. I think they are  purple loosestrife - but I could be wrong.


We found a shady seat for a drinks break.


We got to The Bridge at about 11:40.


Unfortunately, despite what it says on the website, it wasn't opening until 12:00, so we kept going - Joyce had a plan 'B' for somewhere to stop. They looked to have plenty of room outside!


Away from the river we passed through the prosperous looking Clayhithe farm .


Harvesting was complete and we got quite a baking from the sun as we crossed the fields.


In Horningsea we got to the Plan 'B' stop - the Crown and Punchbowl and had some drinks in the garden - 2 to a table so we could all sit in some shade.


Horningsea has an interesting village sign.


"What is the origin of the name", wondered Joyce? She looked up the village history and sent me this link later....

"The parish of Horningsea, which takes its name from the Old English word for hill and island, lies 6 km. (3½ miles) NNE. of Cambridge.  During the 2nd millennium B.C. what became Horningsea stood on a chalk promontory between tidal water and marsh, and in the early Middle Ages the parish comprised an elongated peninsula jutting northwards into undrained fenland.", it tells us.

The village sign was designed by Peter Halford, having won an open competition in 1982. It reflects the making of Roman pottery here between the 2nd and 4th Centuries. Shards of the pottery can still be found in gardens and fields around the village.

Just before we recrossed the river at Baits Bite lock, Joyce asked if anyone would like to take the shortcut back to our cars along the way we came, but there were no takers.


Hooray. Some shade for a final drink (and lunch) break.


We passed the Fen Ditton Plough on the other side of the river. 


It looked very inviting. Anyone want to swim across?


We came to the construction site of the new bridge for the new Chisholm Trail. It is due to be put in place tomorrow and Friday this week.


Crossing Stourbridge Common I was glad to still have some of my thawing frozen juice left for some ice-cold refreshment.

And here we are back at the church. 35.5deg now, according to my car. I think that might be the hottest walk I've been on.


Thanks Joyce for leading us round and the others for their company.

You can see more details of our route here on MapMyWalk and more of my photos here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment