Tuesday 18 August 2020

Ramblers Barrow and Denham Castle Walk


This was the fourth of my pop-up walks for the Bury St. Edmunds Ramblers since they started.  It is one I had done with Dawn a few weeks ago (see here) and I thought at the time it was just the right length for a Ramblers Tuesday walk. It is Walk 48 from my AA 50 Walks in Suffolk book - Across the fields to Denham Castle.

This was the listing...


I had 7 people book to come on the walk and we met as planned in the centre of Barrow. It was a lovely sunny day but not too warm and a gentle breeze. Perfect for walking. This was our route...


Here are a few of my photos.

The War memorial is the official start of the walk.


The duckpond.


We were soon out in the country.


Approaching Denham Castle. The last time I was here there were some big juicy apples on those trees, but they've been harvested now.


We had to make way for scurrying sheep.


The information panel....


...tells you all about Withgar, the last Saxon Lord of Desning. The path goes round the side. Looking back from here, you can just about make out the mound of the motte.



We stopped about 1/2 way where we had a great view across to Norfolk.



We could see radar domes at RAF Feltwell. near Thetford.


We came across this trig point at 103m above sea level situated oddly in the middle of a field.


On the route back towards Barrow we had a view of Higham village.


Dave told us that this building is an aircraft hangar.


I needed my secateurs to clear a way through this gap in the hedge a bit.


We met some horse riders...


..as we headed for Barrow Church.


But what's this? About 1/2 mile from the end we were caught up by a small group of familiar faces who were doing the same walk but had started a little after us.


Thanks to all who came. Wasn't it a lovely walk?

You can see more details of our route here on MapMyWalk and you can see more of my photos here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment