Saturday 12 September 2020

Hunter Club Jazz

Here's something I've been missing... regular Jazz sessions at the Hunter Club. Those sessions, of course, were a victim to the COVD-19 restrictions, but I got this invite...



So I signed up and last night commandeered the living room to stream the live session to the TV with surround sound. I had my candle and beer to make an authentic experience (but without inviting 100 other people into the room).


The session was presented by and featured the regular host Chris Ingham on piano with the brilliant Mark Crooks on clarinet and saxophone. It was a concert that was due to be part of the cancelled Bury St. Edmunds Festival earlier this year. The last time I saw them in action together was at the APEX in "A Swinging Christmas"

It was odd not to have any audience noise or appreciation, but the music and music-making were very fine indeed. Here are a few photos of Chris and Mark in action.


What is that blue sheep doing under the piano? I think I heard Chris say at the interval that it is actually a zebra and given to him by his brother.

There were several camera angles. We got to see Chris's fingerwork when he played his solo passages.



I think my favourite was their penultimate number. Something Good, from The Sound of Music.

Lovely stuff. And I didn't have the 2 mile walk home afterwards! Looking forward to more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment