Friday 11 September 2020

Tech Upgrade

William said last weekend that he had a problem with the laptop computer I had got him two years ago. It had slowed to a crawl. Oh no. I didn't want to have to buy him another one to equip him for University. So I asked him to give me it to look at....

It didn't take me long to diagnose that his hard disk was failing. (I'll spare you the details of the analysis!). But how to fix it? I decided that rather than a like for like replacement, I'd give him an SSD (solid state disk) upgrade.

Just a couple of days later the kit arrived and William successfully cloned his hard disk drive onto the SSD and installed it in his computer...

It used to take 15 minutes for his computer to boot... now it takes seconds.

Hmm. Our home computer is 10 years old and also suffers from disk I/O bottlenecks. Can I prolong its life with a similar upgrade? And my computer is over 3 years old now and performance is degrading too... so I got a kit for the home computer and  mine too. Mine was 1Tb whereas the other two were 512Gb.


The cloning took quite a while, but we are now all upgraded and lightning fast... and silent too - no more whirring disks!

Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment