Friday 4 December 2020

A Snowy Walk

Well this was a surprise. We woke to snow this morning. I don't think we had any at all last winter. It wasn't going to last, so I thought I'd get out in it while I could. I chose an old favourite short walk from home - to Great Barton Church and Shinham Bridge - a little over 5 miles. This was my route.

 

Here are a few of my photos.

Just outside the front door.

It was still snowing quite steadily as I left just after 9 am.

Our road is in a bus route, but even so it looked a bit slippery. I was glad I wasn't having to drive.

It was quite snowy up the hill on the way to the Flight of Peace statue.


I crossed the railway line at Cattishall crossing.

 
By the time I got to Great Barton Church, the snow was turning to rain.

There are some lovely big old trees in the fields alongside Green Lane.

The Shinham Bridge cottages looked oretty with their dusting of snow. This was the farthest extent of my walk... on my way home now.

This ditch beside the road was very full and flowing quite fast.

Ah. I had forgotten about this...

If there was going to be any flooding, it was likely to be now with all the rain yesterday. And sure enough...


I managed to walk along the verge past it and avoid getting splashed by the few vehicles that came along the road. Shrub End thatched cottage is just before the railway bridge.


I was off road now until I got home on the path past Rougham Airfield.

Home again. The snow was melting now.

It was a good walk but I had to change my socks and trousers, the bottom of which had got rather wet. My coat, though, kept me dry and warm. I was glad od a hot cup of coffee, though, while reading the comments on my Quick Cryptic blog post.

You can see more details of my route here on MapMyWalk and more of my photos here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment