Wednesday 16 December 2020

Stowlangtoft Walk

Today I thought I'd try and join up two previous walks - My Ixworth and Stowlangtoft Walk and my Badwell Ash Walks, starting at Stowlangtoft and visiting Hunston and Langham on the way round.

This was my route. I went anti-clockwise from the start,

It was a nice day with fleeting moments of sunshine and a strong southerly breeze, but not too cold. I had forgotten to put my SD card back in my camera, so had to rely on my phone for pictures.

Here are a few of my photos. I parked by Stowlangtoft Church and headed south along a well-defined track. It was a bit puddly in places to start but got a bit drier further up the hill.


I had intended going left here, but changed my mind when I saw it was going across a field.

A couple of my paths had fingerposts pointing across a field, like here, but in both cases I was able to walk round the edge instead.

This splendid tree was a feature of the eastwards leg of the walk.

I arrived at St. Michael's, Hunston.

It wasn't open. I wondered what was going on here in the porch, though.

If I had taken that other fork earlier, I would have ended up coming across this field to reach this point. Good choice, John.

Now I was going in reverse around part of the Badwell Ash walks. I headed to Langham....

...passing the path we had come along last time.

I passed Langham Hall and reached the walled garden, closed, of course. But then I wished I had gone the other way, so did a loop back on myself past Garden Cottage and round the outside of the walled garden to St. Mary Langham Church, with a good view of the Hall on the way.



I tried the door of the church here too, but it too was locked. Then it was across the parkland. The last time we came along here (after Julian infamously bumped his head) this meadow was full of sheep, but now it is full of ducks,

I walked up the road to Langham Village. Along here I came across an owl, but I failed to catch it either perched on the wing. Drat.

I liked the Old Rectory Cottage...

...and these cottages at Stock Hill.

Here I turned westwards along Common Lane.

At the far end I circumnavigated the water tower.

At the norternmost pointy of my walk, looking north, I could see some of Wyken Hall's vineyards.

Now it was south again along the road back to Stowlangtoft.

Here I rejoined my Ixworth Walk (but in the opposite direction). The footpath that goes through someone's yard no has a planning notice for an official diversion.

Passing Stowlangtoft Hall, now a residential nursing home...

I ended my walk by crossing this meadow.

Well that was mostly very pleasant, but rather muddy in places. One to do again in the summer, perhaps?

You can see more details of my route here on MapMyWalk and more of my photos here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment