Wednesday 10 February 2021

First Pickling of 2021

When I did the food shopping yesterday, I couldn't find any pickled red cabbage to go with the Shepherd's Pie I was planning to make today. (A traditional accompaniment, at least in our family). So I bought a cabbage and made my own. In the end, I didn't follow any of the recipes I'd found exactly but mixed an matched. For spices I added some black peppercorns, coriander seeds and caraway seeds, which provide a little explosion of flavour when you bite one.

It didn't take long to make (about 20 minutes in total) and should last for 2-3 weeks in the fridge. 

And here is my pie ready to serve...

...with the pickled cabbage and some peas. Comfort food! It went down well and there's not much left over for "leftovers lunch" tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment