Tuesday 30 August 2022

Gin and Lime Marmalade

A topic of some debate on the foodies-only-no-plebs channel on our Crossword Central site on Discord has been lime marmalade. 

An interesting one found by one of the group on holiday in Ullapool last year is Sarah Gray's Mojito marmalade. A couple of weeks ago I bought some limes (2 x 5 limes for £1 at the market) and I had some from Sainsbury's too with the aim of making some marmalade. I found this recipe for a Gin and Lime marmalade so I thought I'd give it a try.

It took quite a while. Maybe I should have done the quantities in the recipe rather than twice as much... it took me 1 1/2 hours to juice, remove the membranes and slice up the peel. I boiled the peel for a couple of hours as per the recipe. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten to buy more white sugar when food shopping so had to make do with some light brown sugar for half the quantity, hence the darker colour of the marmalade.

The result? Delicious, but I'm not sure I can taste the gin in the jar I've got open. I don't think I'll need to buy any more marmalade for the rest of this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment