Sunday 25 August 2019

Rattlesden Recce Walk

Spoiler alert! If you intend walking with us on 27th September and would prefer it to be a complete surprise, read no further....

Yes I'm guest leading Joyce's walking group again at the end of September and I had a route I'd planned some time ago which needed trying. The full walk is about 10 miles, but I didn't start until 11am and the temperature got up to about 30 degrees so I cut out the loop around Drinkstone Green to turn it into just under 7 miles.

This was my route, heading south from Rattlesden through Poystreet Green, past Cockerell Hall, Wood Hall, across the river and along Gipsy Lane, past Clopton Hall to Clopton Green and back down into Rattlesden.


As you can see I had a little diversion from my planned route when I turned left at a footpath not on the map and had to back-track when I saw it wasn't taking me to Cockerel Hall.

Here are a few photos.

My starting point was the car park by the pavilion and sports ground along Birds Green.



There are some lovely thatched cottages along here. One of them is for sale.


The centre of the village


The paths I had chosen were all well-maintained.


Everything was baking in the sunshine


I think this is Cockerel Hall.


A view of the windmill at Mill Green.


Hollybush farm farmhouse.


Wood Hall.


From here it was back down to the river. I stopped here for a drink in the shade at the bridge over the river and junction with Gipsy Lane.


The moat at Clopton Hall.


The avenue of trees at Clopton Green gave some welcome shade.


My intended route went along this path...



...but here I went the other way, returning to Rattlesden, nestling in the valley.



The Five Bells was also most welcome. The lager shandy was just what I needed.


And then I was back where I started.



I think that will make a good walk for the group, although I might tweak it a bit - there are plenty of options. If it wasn't so hot the extra loop would have been nice. It shouldn't be so hot in a months time!

You can see more of my route here on MapMyWalk and more of my photos here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment