Sunday 18 August 2019

Shingle Street Walk

After visiting Sutton Hoo we had time to get to the coast. I thought it would be nice to go somewhere we hadn't been before and it was only about 7 miles to the relatively remote Shingle Street, an Indy/Life cool place, so off we went.

While the rest stayed on the lovely shingle expanse, I went for a little circular walk along the shingle to the Martello tower, north along the creek to the Suffolk Coast Path and then back along the path.

This was my route.


No I didn't wander out to sea... the shingle has shifted since the aerial photo was taken. And my route included doubling back to give William the car keys when I realised they weren't all going to follow me.

Here are some of my photos.


There is a lot of shingle!


percolation lagoon.


The coastguard cottages.


This rather lovely decorated trail of shells goes from one of the coastguard cottages down to the sea. A lady on the beach told me it had been made by a couple of ladies in one of the cottages who were childhood friends and had both  suffered a long battle with cancer. Read more about it here.


Looking back at the Martello tower. Beyond this one there were 2 more visible further down the coast towards Bawdsey.


I got some lovely views on my walk.




In the distance I could see Orford Ness lighthouse and pagodas, reminding me of a great walk there earlier this year.


Heading back to Shingle Street.


It was only about 3 1/2 miles, but a lovely walk before heading home to roast some salmon for dinner.

You can see more details of my route here on MapMyWalk and more of my photos here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment