Friday 12 March 2021

Wickhambrook Church Walk

Today I thought I'd try out a walk from the Wickhambrook Local Walks series. I downloaded the Discover Suffolk Wickhambrook Walks leaflet from the village website.

I chose to do the Church walk, which I could see would overlap and join up with our Denston walk last week.

This was the route.

Here are a few photos.

I liked the red-brick semi-detached houses opposite the Memorial Social Centre at the start.

I took a little detour into the cemetery. I was interested to see these cast-iron grave markers, such as we saw in Bulmer, but even simpler.

I spotted plenty of cheerful primroses today. These are at the bottom of Cemetery Rd.


The bridleway I turned onto was not mud-free, but I managed to keep my shoes reasonably clean.


Soon I joined up with last week's walk. The mud hadn't got any less on this path so this time I took the field edge option.


Today I took the left hand path beside the ditch.

These small daffodils were a pretty sight too.

The splendid White House opposite the church was once and inn and between 1940 an 1980 housed the local doctor's surgery

All Saints, Wickhambrook Church.

The ford was, if anything, running fuller than last week.


I had another peek at the lovely gardens of Rayners House.

Continuing past the house I followed the road to the T-junction at the top. Bank House, across the road here used the be the village (Lloyds) bank.

I passed the primary school just as it was coming out.

Then it was back along Cemetery Lane to the start...

...passing the village sign.

Well that was a pleasant, if not very long, walk - I made it rather less than the 4 miles quoted in the leaflet, but I guess as it was over 3 miles they rounded it up.

I might do the Red walk next time.

You can find more details of my route here on MapMyWalk or the leaflet.

No comments:

Post a Comment