Monday 15 March 2021

Wickhambrook Genesis Green Walk

 Today I did another of the three circular walks in this leaflet... 


 ...the Red walk to Genesis Green.

This was my route....

Not quite as in the leaflet as I decided to avoid some mud at the end. I should have guessed after the amount of rain we'd had yesterday and the puddles on the road as I came to the village that conditions would be rather muddier than Friday's Church Walk. My route today again overlapped with our Denston Walk a couple of weeks ago, but going in the opposite direction.

Here are a few of my photos. Sharing the car park at the start with the Memorial Social Centre is the Women's Institute Hall which was originally a World War 1 army barrack room.

The walk starts by following the path the other side of the WI building; between it and the cemetery.

I found some pale yellow primroses.

Coltsfoot Green is one of 10 greens in the village.

Soon I was on a familiar track heading North alongside a stream It was flowing very fast today.

And here is where Jane and I had our lunch a couple of weeks ago.

The path was getting very muddy and slippery so it was slow-going trying to avoid falling over... or into the stream.

At Genesis Green there was a nice looking bench at the the half-way point of the walk.


Genesis Green Stud Farm is very impressive.

Here is a mother and foal.

At the BT Mast, the route turns left and then left again into Spring Wood.


I kept my eyes peeled and eventually saw some deer at the far side of the wood.

The path through the wood was rather soggy underfoot.

I little further on I caught sight of  this little fellow in the hedge beside the path.

Now I was back on the path I was on earlier, but didn't turn left over the footbridge. As the path got narrower it got muddier.

I knew where I was again. On Friday I went down the path on the field edge to the left. My route in the leaflet was taking me straight on, but I decided to escape the mud and turned right up to the road....

...pausing only for  a selfie here...

...before arriving back to the start of the walk..

Well that was interesting but my boots and trousers got rather mucky. Just about 5 miles, so a very pleasant afternoon's walk distance... and I got to see a couple of foals, a few deer and cheery robin.

You can see more of my photos here on Flickr and more details of my route here on MapMyWalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment