Friday 25 June 2021

Elderflower Cordial

On a recent walk we passed some lovely fresh elderflower heads and  Joyce challenged me to make a non-alcoholic drink. So, on our Long Melford walk on Wednesday, I took a bag and my secateurs to harvest some elderflowers.

I found this recipe for elderflower cordial...

...and on Wednesday night made the syrup and set the elderflower heads to infuse along with slices of lemon and citric acid. I ran out of white sugar, so had tom add some light brown sugar to make up about 1/2 quantities from the recipe.

Here are the washed flowerheads in the colander. I had about 12 in total.

...and the other ingredients to go in the dissolved sugar.

Here it is steeping.

I left it for about 15 hours and them strained the mixture through some muslin before bottling and then labelling (see resulting picture at the top).

Time to try it out. I add some to a glass and topped up with chilled San Pellegrino sparking mineral water to make and elderflower pressé.

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment