Wednesday 16 June 2021

St. Ives Walk

 

It was nearly 18 months since I'd seen them, but my sister Kirsty and her husband David were staying in their camper van at Grafham Water for a few nights, so I arranged to meet up with them for a couple of the days. Today we did the St.Ives and Hemingfords walk that I had enjoyed so much in July 2019 (you can read about that here). No regatta today and Holt island was closed but it was still a lovely walk.

This was our route.

Here are a few of my photos.

Kirsty and David with their camper van Mario... and my box of goodies I had brought them. We met at the Park&Ride car park.

We started by walking through St. Ives.

We paused to admire the statue of Oliver Cromwell...

...and The Waits.

We had a coffee/tea stop at Houghton Mill.

A canal boat was passing through the lock.

We walked through the lovely village of Hemingford Abbots....

...and along the river to Hemingford Grey

The church was open so Kirsty and I went inside, where there was a smell of incense and some celtic folk music playing.

We passed a couple of donkey. Kirsty much prefers them to horses.

Then it was along the river through Hemingford Grey meadow back to St. Ives.

Over the bridge and through the back streets....


...passing Little Boy Blue above the old police station, no longer home of the boys in blue.

Then it was on by car to The Hartford Mill for lunch.

Kirsty and I had the peri-peri chicken kebab while David had the scampi.

Very tasty! Thank-you Joyce for the recommendation.

So that was a great day out - lovely weather, a lovely walk, a lovely mealand a chance to catch up on family news. And we'll meet again tomorrow!

You can see more details of our route here on MapMyWalk and more of my photos here on Flickr.

1 comment:

Show Comments