Saturday 12 June 2021

Faster!!!

My BT TV package had expired and the price had gone up. But to change to a new package I need to commit to another 2 years broadband contract. Although I was quite happy with the speed of 30-40Mbps we were getting, I was already paying a lot more for that than current rates. I phoned them up, and they offered me full-fibre broadband with a speed of at least 100Mbps and up to 150Mbps for nearly £20 a month less than I was already paying - they had to offer me the same deal as for new customers.

It was a good deal so I took it and, on Tuesday, the engineer came to get me hooked up (our street had recently been recabled with fibre and it was only a matter off pulling it through the duct to the house and installing the new equipment).

So now I have full-fibre into my living room...

Before he left, he got me to test the speed I was getting in the study... 93Mbps. And then I realised... my home network cabling is only Fast Ethernet (i.e. 10/100 Mbps). But the speed over the wi-fi to my phone was impressive...


So time for a bit of tech investment. Both the home computer and my laptop have only got 100Mbps network cards... but there was a solution for that. 

And the study is connected to the router via a Cat5 cable, limiting it to 100Mbps... but there was a solution for that. 



And finally, my network switch in the study so we can have multiple computers connected is also only 100Mbps... but there was a solution for that...


So what do I see from a speed test from the home computer and my laptop in the study?

125.6 Mbps download speed. Yippee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment