Sunday 27 June 2021

Orwell Challenge Walk 2021

Today I did the Orwell Challenge walk for the 3rd time. In 2019 and 2018 I did the full 25 miles route. Would I do the longest route again? I wasn't sure as I headed down the A14 towards the start. In the end I did the full distance...

This was the route.

Here are some of my photos.

I decided to avoid the rush for registration and start a bit later. There were plenty of cars already parked when I arrived, so I could see there would be a lot of people out there. It was dull but mild and I had a few spots of drizzle every now and then for the first couple of miles. Good conditions for walking, if not great for sightseeing.

I was on my way by 7:58 am, but forgot to photograph the start until I'd gone over 100m.

I soon came across a couple of familiar figures, Miranda and Karen, but didn't stay to walk with them. As before, I intended to walk on my own at my own pace.

Passing under the Orwell bridge I saw this group posing for a team photo. I saw quite a few other groups in matching T-shirts on my way round.

Now we were walking along the shoreline. It was very pleasant at first.

I was going quite fast and overtaking lots of people. I spied this group in front of me and and thought I recognised them.

Yes. I did know them. It was Julian and his friends Andy and Simon who had done the Anytime Daffodil Dawdle with us as a training walk for this. They had started about 5-10 minutes earlier than me.

Now the path started to get a bit more muddy and seaweed-strewn. Not great for those in trainers, but I had my proper walking boots on and my feet stayed dry.


Away from the shore, there was a stretch of wild honeysuckle. Lovely!

After passing the Shore Lane checkpoint, I turned around briefly to photograph it, not noticing who I had just overtaken.

It was a group of Ramblers.. and I hadn't realised until Cath said "Hello, John"!

The next checkpoint was at Levington Creek. I could have chosen the 13 mile route here, but I didn't.

After 9 miles and 2 1/2 hours walking, at Fishponds I had to decide whether to go for the full distance or not. Well, as I had done the last twice, I thought I ought to take up the challenge.

It was nearly 4 miles to the next checkpoint. We got close to Felixstowe docks before turning inland past Trimley marshes...

... and a long drag uphill to Checkpoint Nr 5 - Cordys. Over half-way now and time to rehydrate - I'd only my used two small bottles so far. The cup of orange squash was very welcome and I drank half my flask of cold ginger and lemongrass cordial. (I'd decided not use my elderflower cordial as elderflower is meant to have a diuretic effect). But it was only just after 11:30 and I wasn't hungry, so I didn't have my lunch. Besides, I could feel myself stiffening up so thought it best to get going again.

Now it was more inland paths to Squirrels checkpoint...

...and Levington Creek for a second time.

Back uphill and through more countryside. I wondered what this crop with blue flowers was. Is it linseed?

Passing through the woods on this lovely path, I heard the sound of peacocks crying. Aha. I remember this from before. I must be getting close to my favourite checkpoint...

...Decoy...

...where I stopped again to empty my flask and grab my still-a-bit-frozen bottle of raspberry and goji berry squash (I had left it in the freezer overnight) for the last stretch. 

I had paused a couple of times at checkpoints and was going a bit slower than earlier, but Julian and Co. had speeded up and went past me shortly afterwards.

The last checkpoint, Fox's had an ice-cream van, but I didn't tarry.

Not far to go from here and the last couple of miles soon passed as I speeded up a bit againt, and I was back just after 2:54pm...

...just behind Julian Andy and Simon, who I found at the ice-cream van.

And here is my medal and certificate.

My feet and legs were a bit sore (I had developed a blister on a big toe) and I was a rather stiff when I got home, but I'd made it. And what is more I had completed the course in just under 6 hours and 56 minutes, nearly 1/4 hour quicker than last time. As last time, it was only about 23.4 miles, though, not 25.

You can see more details of the route here on MapMyWalk and more of my photos here on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment