Thursday 16 September 2021

Stansfield Walk


It was a lovely day today so I thought I'd go for an afternoon walk.

I picked this walk from  Roger Medley's set of Wickhambrook Walks and adapted it a little to explore Lower Street. I used his excellent description to plot the walk using the Ramblers planner - it was pretty easy to follow. This was my route.

Here are a few of my photos.

Stansfield Village Hall is having some building work done at the moment. It has quite a big car park - useful to know for future walks.

I headed for Stansfield Hall, intercepting the Bury to Clare Path I had walked with Joyce in reverse on 2018 (see here).

I got to see the Oxford Sandy and Black pigs, aka Plum Pudding pigs.

At Upper Street I did a little explore of the hamlet.


The Stansfield Compasses pub is now, alas, defunct. Will it get bought and reopen?

The walk had some lovely wide paths...

...and I saw lots of berries.

Great views too.

Some lovely cottages

Some ups and down too. I crossed the fledgling River Glem a couple of times.

I liked this weather vane.

I loved this patch of sunflowers

Shortly before the end, I got a lovely panorama of including Stansfield, Hawkesdon and Somerton Churches.


Then it was back down the hill from Stansfield Hall to the Village Hall.


What a great afternoon walk.

You can see more details of my route here on MapMyWalk and more of my photos here on Flickr.


No comments:

Post a Comment