Wednesday 25 July 2018

Bury St. Edmunds World War I Art Trail

I can't remember where I found this, but you can get the leaflets at the Tourist Information Centre and various other locations around town.

The trail has been devised to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the ending of World War I, with a set of 18 (as its 1918 - 2018) pieces of installation art.

"The trail commences on 21st July and concludes on Armistice Day, 11th November.

The trail is made up of 18 separate pieces of art, all created by local artists.

All the pieces of art will be available to buy, after the conclusion of the trail, as the trail is raising funds for the Every Heart Matters appeal, which is being co-ordinated by the My WiSH charity at the West Suffolk Hospital."

You can read more about it here.

Earlier this week I walked into town and attempted the trail, starting at the bottom of the Abbey Gardens. This was my route... complete with meanderings as I sought out the individual pieces.


I photographed each item as I went, but was stymied by a couple being inside commercial premises that weren't open. Nevertheless, as a bit of a crossword fiend, I was able to complete the tiebreaker question despite missing 2 letters. But I still needed to know which art piece each of the missing letters was associated with. Fortunately I was able to revisit them the following day when they were open to complete the set.

Here are a few of those I liked best, but they are all fantastic.

2018_0723_153714

2018_0723_154533

2018_0723_161607

2018_0723_154958

2018_0724_194817

I think that poppy table and benches is my favourite.

It being rather warm I was very grateful to be able to rehydrate at the Greene King Beer Cafe along the way. You can try following my route if you like from the details on MapMyWalk, (Try the 3D option to get a 'fly by video' view of where I went), but you will need to keep your eyes open as you go to find them all.

What a wonderful idea and splendid set of art work. I hope many others enjoy it as much as I did. You can see my complete set of pictures of the exhibits on Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment