Sunday 17 May 2020

Gin Distillation Run #1

Well it was time to make more than just a little sample by infusion. How close will it taste to an infused version? Plenty of variables here that might affect the outcome.

First decision - to distil from a mixture of spriti and botanicals in the pot or to pass the vapour through the botanicals in the column of the still? I decided to do the former.

But then, what quantities to use? My book recommended multiplying up from the volumes in the infusion base proportionally, but other sources suggested different amounts. I chose a hybrid of approaches.

I started by making an infusion as before, but this time with the botanical quantities for an initial volume of 1.5l. in about 1/2 that volume.

After infusing overnight, I then added the mixture to the still and topped up with more vodka to about 1.5L volume or a little less.

I was starting with neutral spirit rather than an alcohol wash so there shouldn't be many impurities so how much to discard as heads?

And when to stop collecting? I think I'll have to work that out as I go.

Here is my recipe...


And here it is an my bigger jar to infuse overnight.


All assembled and ready to go. If nothing else, the copper still is rather pretty, isn't it?


After discarding my first 20ml of distillate, as I went along I collected it in a number of jars, swapping every 100ml. With each jar I measured the alcohol content with my hydrometer...


This jar measured 82% ABV. I was getting pretty pure alcohol across because I had filled my column with copper mesh.


Eventually I had 8 jars. My last one measured only 2% alcohol and had some less desirable tastes, so I discarded that one. Then I blended the rest, resulting in 442ml @68% ABV, which I diluted down to 1105ml with filtered water to get to the standard 40% ABV.


And the result.. 4 bottles of 250ml of gin (the last one being full to the brim).


Initial tasting of the leftovers was promising.... A nice limpid quality to the liquid in the bottles. But how will it taste? I'll leave it a few days for the flavours to merge before tasting for real. Meanwhile, time to design the labels. More anon!

No comments:

Post a Comment