Thursday 23 November 2023

Chilli Pickles, Chutney and Sauce - Day 2

After yesterday's pickling I was left with plenty of chillis.

Today I used up most of what was left in several more recipes, although I kept some of the habaneros aside for cooking and left a bowlful of jalapeños to see if I could get any more to ripen before using them or freezing them, drying them on some kitchen towel first.


First I used up yesterday's leftover pickling liquid to make two more small jars of sweet pickled jalapeños. Then I picked my recipes and allocated chillis to each (as shown at the top).

Firstly some Evil Chilli Chutney. The recipe was quite straightforward.

EVIL CHILLI CHUTNEY
450 g chillies (I use red, green, yellow – whatever)
4 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp tumeric
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
30 g grated fresh ginger
200 ml ground nut oil
200 ml white wine vinegar

Combine all ingredients except the sugar and vinegar in a pan and fry gently for 15 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar, cover and boil for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Pot up into hot jars and seal.


My mixture included some of my cayenne and habanero chillis and some birds eye chillis again to make it hotter.


It reduced down quite a lot.


I was left with two jars of hot, sweet, tasty delight. 


Next came some Green Chilli Sauce.


The garlic and ginger were cooked first.


I added some frozen habaneros from last year to boost the heat.


The chillis cooking.


The final result was a bottle and a bit of sauce. Quite green tasting and the heat grows as the taste develops in the mouth. Yes. That will do!


My last recipe of the day was some Green Chilli Pickle. I used our green cayenne peppers for this. Look at all those ingredients!


There were plenty of seeds that were first dry roasted for a minute or soo and them roughly ground.


The final result. One small dish.


The last step in the recipe says, "leave in the sun for 2 days". Ha ha. Well it can go on the windowsill but I don't think it will get much sun.

No time for more today. Razorback Sauce tomorrow, I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment