Tuesday 20 December 2022

The Gravestones of Suffolk

Today I attended the last U3A Bury St Edmunds monthly lecture of 2022.

Our speaker, Robert Halliday is an active local member of the U3A and has been fascinated with graveyards since a child.


Here he is in action...


He gave us a tour of the history of gravestones with examples from all over Suffolk. He also showed us some gravestones of famous people. I recognised this one.


It is of Willam Saking, falconer to Kings Charles I, Charles II and James II. It is at Great Livermere church and features in my Flickr album for this walk in April this year.

The talk was very interesting and enlightening. I particularly enjoyed the strange epitaphs he highlighted. He finished his talk with his favourite, of John Winkin St. Mary's Churchyard, Bungay. I rather like it too.

Look, Think, Reflect, Repent,
Be assur'd there's nothing
So certain as Death.
He can only be truly happy
Who lives today
As if he were to die tomorrow.

Robert has written two books on the subject and he brought along copies of them...


...A History of Suffolk Gravestones and Graves of the Famous and Notable. At the end of the lecture I bought both and got them signed by him.

I look forward to finding the graves he mentions on future walks!



No comments:

Post a Comment