Monday 5 December 2022

Tassel Gin #15

Time to make some more gin for Christmas presents.

My last batch in September, Tassel Gin #14 has a somewhat wintery taste to it with the Liquorice, Cassia Bark, Cardamom, Allspice and Fennel flavours all coming through at the finish. Dawn loves it! But this time I thought I'd try for something a bit less spicy and let the citrus and rose flavours come out a bit more, although I toned the citrus back a bit too. I dropped the Allspice and Orris Root and replaced the Cassia Bark with Cinnamon, which is slightly sweeter. This was the recipe compared to last time.

Botanical Last Time This Time
Juniper 30g 27.5g
Coriander 12g 10g
Angelica 1g 1g
Cardamom 2.5g 2g
Lemon Peel 8g 6g
Orange Peel 8g 6g
Fennel 3g 2g
Pink Peppercorns 3g 2.5g
Liquorice 1g 0.5g
Cassia 0.5g 0g
Cinnamon 0g 0.5g
Ginger 1g 1g
Grains of Paradise 1g 1g
Rose Petals 1g 1.5g
Allspice 0.5g 0g
Orris Root 0.5g 0g

Getting ready to measure them out.


Here are the botanicals in the jar with 1l of vodka yesterday to infuse overnight.



And here is the final result.


Success! It is indeed a little lighter and sweeter than the previous batch. You might spot a slight haze in the bottles. That is, I think, the essential oil from the rose petals, which I saw last time too. No chill filtering for me - I don't want to lose any of the flavour.


No comments:

Post a Comment